Oct 3, 2012

It might be ugly, but it tasted delicious

UPDATE: I was sort of regretting posting this because it's ugly and not really a recipe, but then Melissa Clark just validated that whole decision

I guess this is why food stylist is a profession...because there are ways to make your food look appetizing that I don't know about. But I can assure you this was might tasty. Let me explain!

One of the struggles I have with food blogs is that they only present the pretty and challenging recipes. But often what I want is inspiration for something I can cook when I come home from work starving and doesn't take much thought to make. I have a bunch of recipes like this but the thing is that they aren't...recipes. And I think people need to be a lot less tied to the structure of a recipe. Just because this didn't come from a cookbook doesn't mean I can't share it with you! Sometimes you just throw things together and it tastes good! That's why Mark Bittman is the patron saint of this blog.

So last night when I got home from my soccer game (we lost. Don't worry about) I whipped myself up this ugly dish that is pretty much the most delicious thing ever. The inspiration came from this (which I make all the time and don't even use the recipe any more) and this (which I hope to make as soon as I get my hands on some Brussels sprouts). It's a bastardization of a lot of things, but the kimchi is key to give it a little something special and it turns out tasty every time. And that's all that matters.


I didn't follow my own flipping directions...

Cabbage Kimchi Pancake
Serves 2

Cabbage
Leek or onion
Kimchi (I like the Super Spicy Mama O's as a vegetarian option)
Flour (any is fine. I used garbonzo flour because it's what I had)
2 or 3 eggs
Salt
Oil 
Sriracha (to serve)

Shred some cabbage. Preferably not purple cabbage since it turns the pancake blue though if you don't care, I guess that doesn't matter. Shred enough cabbage that looks like a reasonable serving for two people  but that will also not overflow from your skillet. Since cabbages vary greatly by size, you'll just have to eyeball it. Throw the shredded cabbage into a bowl. Slice up the leek or onion. Add that to the cabbage. Or don't if you don't have any around! Add some kimchi. Add a bunch. You really can't go wrong with too much Kimchi. 

Sprinkle some flour on the chopped ingredients. You don't want too much flour! You just want to coat everything with a dusting of flour. So start slowly, toss to combine, and see how it looks. Once you have enough BUT NOT TOO MUCH flour, crack the eggs in a separate bowl and whisk. Season with salt. Pour over the cabbage mixture and stir to combine. Everything should be just barely coated with flour/egg.

Heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat. Generously coat the skillet with oil. Pour in all of the cabbage mixture to make one giant pancake. Press down with your spatula to flatten. Check the bottom regularly by lifting slightly with a spatula, until it is golden brown. This is when it gets hard. Turn off the heat, just in case. Find a large cutting board and put it over the skillet. Protect each hand with a towel so you don't burn yourself. Over a work surface, keeping your hand on the cutting board, invert the skillet over the cutting board and lift the skillet so the pancake is cooked side-up on the cutting board. Return the skillet to the burner. Turn the heat back on, add a little more oil. Slide the pancake (cooked-side up) back into the skillet and cook until done. Let cool slightly on the cutting board before serving and eating.

Eat with lots of sriracha. SO GOOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment