Sep 24, 2012

Baby Visit


I normally don't like to bake. It usually seems like a too large project that I take on when I have no time so I'm up baking until 1 am and stressed/angry. I also never seem to have the right ingredients in the house, so I have to run out to the only open corner store at 8 pm and buy their overpriced ingredients. Suddenly that tray of homemade brownies has cost me $25 and I pulled them out of the oven at 2:20 am. But recently I've been converted. By this recipe. 

I first made it for a birthday party. It was a hit. I made it to bring to my new mom friend when I went on a baby visit. Hit. I made it for book club. Hit. Each time I've slightly tweaked the recipe each time to create something extra tasty. And easy. And with a reasonably stocked kitchen, you probably don't need to buy anything. I want to try experimenting with different flours next. I think maybe cornmeal would be appropriate in there? Or buckwheat flour?

Olive Oil Yogurt Cake with Lemon
Adapted from Orangette

For the cake:
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
zest of 1 lemon (or more to taste)
1/2 cup olive oil

For the glaze:

Juice from 2 lemons
1/4 cup powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.


In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended. In a separate, bowl mix the flour, baking powder and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just mixed. Add the oil and stir to incorporate and make a smooth batter. Pour and scrape the batter into a buttered bundt pan (if it's a non-stick pan yous shouldn't need to add wax paper).


Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.


Cool cake on a rack for about 20 minutes; then turn it out of the pan to cool completely.

When the cake is thoroughly cooled, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl and spoon it gently over the cake. The glaze will be thin and will soak in like a syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment